Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Final Reflection: Farewell English 102

Natalie Calico
English 102 034W
Final Reflection
December 12, 2011
Farewell English 102
Understanding diffusion, deoxyribonucleic acid, synapses, and muscle contractions has never been my strong point. Throughout all my education my strength has always been English and my weakness has always been science. For example I will never forget the first “C” I got in school. I was in third grade and it was a science test. One of the questions asked “Does gas take up space? If so explain.” As a third grader I can recall confidently writing “Yes. Because when you put it in your car, your tank gets full.” Science was always disappointing for me and I never excelled in it as I did English. English was always my one sure bet. English was what I knew I could do without much effort and get one of the highest grades in the class. These were my strengths and weaknesses academically as I knew them. However, my first semester of college reversed everything much to my surprise. Where I once struggled in science I now excel, and where I once excelled in English, I have found myself struggling all semester on the borderline of a grade I strongly desired, and one I do not want to settle for.
My major success and improvement this semester has definitely been being humbled by college English. In high school the research was basically provided for you, and your sources did not have to be completely reliable. Basically if it is on the internet, it is free game. However, as I began research on my first local essay I found myself struggling with my sources. I did not understand how to access data bases like EBSCO and CQ researcher. I thought I could handle my research by simply using Google and other search engines. I went from using a source from a CBS news article, to using a source from a medical scholarly journal to support my stance on child immunizations. Understanding how to operate valid sources became a treasured new tool to my writing. Now I know where to find credible sources with support in order to add sophistication to my writing. Another success I have encountered this semester is learning the slick magical features of Microsoft Word (which I brutally was taught in one of the first assignments of the semester, the obstacle course). Never before had I discovered the tools to create detailed and organized peer editing on Word. Also I learned how to properly format my essays through Word and make them more appealing for reading. I am proud to say my successes this semester have been beneficial to both my writing and my education of computer technology.
The hardest thing I have been working toward developing this semester has been time management. Having a large work load in school with so many classes that demand a lot of attention, can be draining. Especially this last stretch where all the classes are coming to a rapid end with still so much to accomplish before the semester concludes. Besides time management, I am still developing my skills of using technology on the computer. Our blog portfolio has been a frustrating learning experience for me. Computers seem to have a grudge against me which I have not convinced them to let go of yet. However, communicating with my instructor and peers has been a great relief as I have continued to struggle in these still developing areas. I hope to acquire more knowledge and insight as I battle through these challenges.
I believe that this class will be applicable to almost every class I take from now till I graduate college. English 102 teaches you discipline; when you have a long paper to write the best way to get it done is to sit down and power through until you get to the end. This is a life lesson in itself. The best way out of something is always through and there are no short cuts in life. English 102 teaches you to give credit to people who deserve it, and credit to yourself when you deserve it too. English 102 teaches you to be thoughtful and helpful to your peers and it teaches you to realize you are never alone. Usually if you are questioning or struggling with something, ten other students have the same questions too. I know I will apply the tools of valid research to my future biology classes and any classes that require research. I know I will be more prepared to write impressive papers as I now have the wisdom of keeping bibliographies and evaluating my sources. I know as I further my education, English 102 will always be the class I remember from my college career. English 102 was where I learned never to underestimate the work and time consumption a class may require.
As this semester comes to an end I find myself grateful. It has been a long semester full of high points and low points. I learned to work just as hard in English 102 as I have had to work at chemistry or biology. I learned college work is exhausting, but it is well worth the fight when you are almost to the end. I hope to take from this class more than the grades I have earned, but the knowledge I have obtained behind the grades. Whether the grade was high or low each one represents an academic lesson I learned. With this semester almost under my belt I feel confident in venturing towards my next college semester. I know it will take just as much exertion and mind power, but like this semester it will be worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment